--
Welcome!

This Lenten season, the First Baptist Church of Christ will take the time to listen to the entire New Testament (days and passages are listed on the right column). Through our partnership with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, every member of the church will be offered a free MP3 recording of the New Testament. By listening to this recording for less than half an hour each day, one can hear the entire New Testament in forty days.

At this blog, you’ll be able to read some of our members’ thoughts about what they are hearing. Our contributors reflect the great diversity of our congregation. They are male and female, older and younger, some with a seminary background and some without. As you read their questions, reflections, and observations, I invite you to join the conversation by posting a comment.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18: 1 Corinthians 2–9

By Charlie Thomas

Although I just learned the term recently, I think it would be fair to say that I tend to be a "red-letter" Christian. I find the words and actions of Jesus to be the most compelling, provocative, and inspiring passages of the Bible. Paul, on the other hand, troubles me. It isn't that I don't respect and admire his life of travel, letter-writing, and church-building; I find it amazing. I often think, though, that Paul gets lost in the details of the situations he faced in his ministry to some of the earliest Christian communities. But this passage inspired a little more of my sympathy than usual:

First Corinthians 9:19 For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. 20To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. 22To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.

Paul immerses himself in the lives of those to whom he hopes to minister. He is neither slave nor Jew, but he takes on those roles in order to preach and teach more effectively. He doesn't insist on a particular persona, but, in order to bring the gospel to the world, he remakes himself in the image of those to whom he writes and travels. Rather than trying to be recognized for who he is and what makes him different from others, he chooses to cultivate common ground. He comes to people where they are, immerses himself in what they care about, and finds ways to bring the gospel message into those present, concrete concerns.

As I reflect on this part of Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, I hope and pray that, like Paul, I can find common ground, let go of ego, and become a conduit for the gospel of Christ's love for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment