--
Welcome!

This Lenten season, the First Baptist Church of Christ will take the time to listen to the entire New Testament (days and passages are listed on the right column). Through our partnership with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, every member of the church will be offered a free MP3 recording of the New Testament. By listening to this recording for less than half an hour each day, one can hear the entire New Testament in forty days.

At this blog, you’ll be able to read some of our members’ thoughts about what they are hearing. Our contributors reflect the great diversity of our congregation. They are male and female, older and younger, some with a seminary background and some without. As you read their questions, reflections, and observations, I invite you to join the conversation by posting a comment.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

March 9: John 20–Acts 4

By Lanta Cooper

As I listen to the text, I find myself able to be involved in the stories of Jesus. In John 21 when Jesus tells the disciples to cast their net to the other side of the boat, I imagine being on the boat. I can hear the ocean waves and vividly picture Jesus standing on the shore. I wonder how exhausted I would be after many failed attempts to make a catch. I question the temperature of the water (and find it interesting that Simon Peter clothes himself to swim back to shore). I picture listening through the wind and waves to Jesus' advice, feeling the relief that a catch has been made, and struggling to haul the load of fish back to shore.

I have been reminded that reading Scripture may involve more than just reading the words. We are sometimes challenged to bring the text to life and use all of our senses to creatively capture the moments. In doing so, we may discover something new about the life of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment