--
Welcome!

This Lenten season, the First Baptist Church of Christ will take the time to listen to the entire New Testament (days and passages are listed on the right column). Through our partnership with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, every member of the church will be offered a free MP3 recording of the New Testament. By listening to this recording for less than half an hour each day, one can hear the entire New Testament in forty days.

At this blog, you’ll be able to read some of our members’ thoughts about what they are hearing. Our contributors reflect the great diversity of our congregation. They are male and female, older and younger, some with a seminary background and some without. As you read their questions, reflections, and observations, I invite you to join the conversation by posting a comment.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 20: 1 Corinthians 16–2 Corinthians 9

By Barbara Newton

“I want you to be ready.”

Paul wants those folks in Corinth to be ready like he thinks they are and like they say they are. He sent letters with instructions, hard lessons, encouragement and reasons to be thrilled. It could be a letter from a Mama or a teacher.

As I listen to the audio Bible, it helps me to read along. Today I am reading in a Bible that I used mostly in the late 1980’s. Passages are underlined that I am sure were part of a lesson in my fundamental church that valued good Christian behavior. I reread underlined verses wondering what I came to understand during those years. It is possible that the way I understood those same words then, would be offensive to me now. Preparation can come from the most unexpected places. You, (my fellow saints) and my church and this bible reading are part of me getting ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment